Rubeor, Bayhawks shutdown Machine

Rubeor, Bayhawks shutdown Machine
May 11, 2013, 11:15 pm
Share This Post

Veteran attackman Ben Rubeor put in a full day’s work with five points in a shortened game as the Bayhawks shutdown the Ohio Machine, 14-5. The game was stopped after three quarters due to lightning.

Rubeor followed last week’s seven goal performance with another four goals and an assist against Ohio, earning Player of the Game honors for the second straight week. Rubeor has now scored at least one point in 32 consecutive games.

“The last two weeks, things have been going my way. I’m not doing anything differently than I normally do, I’ve just been fortunate to end up on the back end of plays and the shots are falling for me,” Rubeor said.

It wasn’t all Rubeor, however, as midfielder Matt Mackrides and attackman Drew Westervelt

both tallied hat tricks for Chesapeake. Attackman John Grant Jr. also made his presence known in his first start of the season. He managed only one assist, but he drew plenty of defensive attention to himself, freeing up teammates for open looks.

“John Grant is still the best attackman in the league and he does make a difference on offense. Defenses tend to shade to Junior, and whenever he dodges from behind they slide to him,” Rubeor said.

The Bayhawks were also able to get production from attackman Steven Brooks, which was a goal for headcoach Dave Cottle heading into today’s game. Brooks had gone 1 for 9 shooting through two games this season, but scored consecutive goals today less than four minutes apart in the first quarter.

“We just wanted Steven to be aggressive. Steven is a really good player and we know we’re going to get goals from him. I think scoring a couple tonight gave Steven a lift, and in turn gave the team a lift,” Cottle said.

Midfielder Kyle Dixon played his 80th game for the Bayhawks, breaking the franchise record previoiusly held by Tom Marachek. To mark the occasion, Dixon dished out three assists.

Goalkeeper Kip Turner also chipped in with 11 saves for the Bayhawks.

Ohio kept things close early when midfielder John Connolly scored on a power play to put Ohio on the board. Chesapeake responded by scoring the next seven straight goals to take control of the game. At the end of the first half that included a half hour weather delay, the Bayhawks found themselves leading 11-2.

Both teams traded three goals in the third quarter until the game was called due to a second thunderstorm.

“I thought defensively and offensively, it was probably the best we’ve played on both sides this season. Overall, I thought we played pretty well,” Cottle said. “I thought we handled the ball better and shot the ball better on offense. Defensively, our guys are tough and make teams earn their goals. I thought Kip played well and bailed us out a few times with great saves.”

Chesapeake improved its record to 3-0 and remained tied atop the Major League Lacrosse standings with the Denver Outlaws. Their next home game with be Saturday, June 1st against the Hamilton Nationals.