Betemit not playing, but still wants to come back

Betemit not playing, but still wants to come back
September 9, 2013, 5:15 pm
Share This Post

BALTIMORE – Since returning from the disabled list on Aug. 27, Wilson Betemit is hitless in nine at-bats. He hasn’t played since last Tuesday.

Betemit severely sprained his right knee in the last week of spring training in March.

“I understand the situation. I’m coming back from an injury and have to wait for an opportunity,” Betemit said.

“There are a lot of other guys here who have to play who’ve been here the whole year. I just wait.”

Betemit hasn’t given up on what remains in the season.

“We still have three weeks. You finish this year first and then think about next year and see what happens,” Betemit said.

Betemit is finishing a two-year, $3.25 million contract. It would have vested for a third year with 700 plate appearances in the first two years. He had 376 a year ago.

“I’d like to come [back] here,” Betemit said. “But I don’t make that decision right now. With my situation, I didn’t play too much. I don’t know if they want me to come back here. I’d like to come back here. I don’t know the situation right now.”

Manager Buck Showalter said that if he uses Betemit as a pinch hitter, he’ll have to use a pinch runner for him and doesn’t necessarily want to always do that.

“I didn’t like that feeling,” Showalter said. “It takes away from some things. Wilson is still an option for us.”


NOTES: Steve Pearce, who is eligible to come off the disabled list on Thursday, had a cortisone injection on his left wrist Friday. He’s been swinging off the batting tee in Sarasota, Fla. He won’t be ready on Thursday, but could be brought back soon after.

-Nick Markakis’ wife, Christina, is scheduled to have labor induced on Wednesday morning. It will be the third child for the couple. Showalter said he’s hoping to play that night.

-Infielder Alex Liddi has cleared waivers and was outrighted to Norfolk.

-The Orioles Instructional League team reports on Wednesday to Sarasota, Fla. They’ll play a 16- game schedule beginning on Sept. 18. Eight games, beginning Sep. 19 will be played at Ed Smith Stadium. The final game is Oct. 8. Admission is free.

The team will be managed by Aberdeen’s Matt Merullo and will include recent high draft choices Hunter Harvey, Josh Hart and Chance Sisco.

For more information, go to www.orioles.com/sarasota