Gausman not candidate for Saturday start

Gausman not candidate for Saturday start
May 14, 2013, 6:00 pm
Share This Post

BALTIMORE – Dan Duquette eliminated Kevin Gausman from any consideration to start on Saturday for the Orioles. The executive vice president of baseball operations shot down any speculation that the 22-year-old left-hander would replace Wei-Yin Chen for Saturday’s start against Tampa Bay.

“He’s not a candidate for us to recall him. He’s doing fine at Double-A, and he’s getting used to professional baseball,” Duquette said.

Gausman, who is supposed to start on Thursday for Bowie, is 1-4 with a 3.35 ERA in seven starts. He’s struck out 39 and walked just four in 40 1/3 innings.

“He’s doing fine where he is. He’s doing fine. He’s getting his feet on the ground,” Duquette said.

Jair Jurrjens is likely to get the call for Saturday. Jurrjens, who would have to be added to the 40-man roster, is 4-1 with a 3.14 ERA in eight starts for Norfolk.

“He’s pretty solid. He’s thrown his pitches for strikes,” Duquette said.

The 27-year-old Jurrjens is 53-37in six major league seasons.

“He’s a qualified major leaguer, and he’s pitched well for us at Triple-A. If you look at his lifetime record, he’s a winning major league pitcher,” Duquette said.

Gausman doesn’t necessarily need a stint in Norfolk to prove himself, Duquette believes.

“What did we do with Manny Machado last year? Double-A is a real proving ground,” Duquette said.

“I like to see players do well at Double-A. They need a foundation so that when they do come to the big leagues, they can succeed. Triple-A is a good experience because there are more experienced players there, but the real proving ground is Double-A.”