Orioles sending Gonzalez to bullpen for now

Orioles sending Gonzalez to bullpen for now
August 24, 2013, 2:45 pm
Share This Post

BALTIMORE – Miguel Gonzalez pitched on Tuesday, and with Monday’s scheduled off day, he won’t start again until next Friday at Yankee Stadium.

Gonzalez is often better with extra rest, and manager Buck Showalter likes how he matches up against the Yankees. Gonzalez will be in the bullpen for the next three games, Showalter said.

“I don’t want to send it out that we’re saving him for the Yankees because we’re not. That’s where it falls best for everybody and also allows us to make a bunch of moves. We don’t have a lot of maneuverability with the optionable players,” Showalter said.

Gonzalez is 2-1 with a 2.45 ERA in four career starts at Yankee Stadium.

Scott Feldman had been in the bullpen, but he’ll now start Sunday against Oakland.

NOTES: Showalter said that there’s no pitcher who is in danger of being shut down because they’ve reached their innings limit.