BALTIMORE – Two weeks from Sunday, rosters will be expand from 25 to 40. Last year, the Orioles made wholesale additions to their roster after Sept. 1.
Manager Buck Showalter said he and executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette haven’t had a chance to discuss possible additions at length.
“We haven’t gotten that far. There are a lot of variables there,” Showalter said. “I don’t think there’s anybody there that we would call up just to look at that couldn’t help us. We’ll try and mesh those two things, somebody that could fit in future plans, but also could help us some.”
Two possible additions to the roster are on the disabled list, Jason Hammel and Wilson Betemit.
Hammel, who’s been on the disabled list with a strained right forearm, will throw off flat ground twice more and perhaps throw off a mound on Friday. Hammel will probably need some rehab starts before he’s ready to rejoin the team, which could be after Sept. 1.
Team executive Brady Anderson watched Betemit at Bowie on Saturday night. Anderson told Showalter he watched Betemit bat three times. A number of the switch-hitting Betemit’s at-bats have been right-handed, and Showalter prefers to see him bat from the left side, where he’s had greater success.
Betemit has eight more days left on his 20-game rehab assignment. He’s yet to play this year because of a severely sprained right knee.
“I asked Brady, ‘ready to DH him tomorrow?,’ Showalter said. “Not yet,” Anderson answered.
“He said he was still trying to feel his way a little bit. He’s getting there,” Showalter said.
Showalter doesn’t believe Betemit will need extra time on his rehab assignment and could be activated by Aug. 27.