Wilson Betemit’s time with the Orioles has come to a sad end. After valiantly trying to come back from a severely sprained right knee, Betemit was designated for assignment on Monday.
The Orioles reinstated Henry Urrutia from the restricted list, but he won’t be joining the team for its series in Boston on Tuesday.
Betemit batted .261 with 12 home runs and 40 RBIs last year, and the Orioles hoped the switch-hitter would be the team’s left-handed hitting designated hitter.
He hurt his knee during the last week of spring training in March, and finally made it back to the Orioles in late August, but Betemit was hitless in 10 at-bats.
“He’s a good veteran player. He did a good job last season. He just wasn’t able to overcome the injury,” Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said.
Betemit was in the final year of a two-year contract with an option that would have vested for $3.2 million next year if he reached 700 plate appearances over the two years. He had 386.
Urrutia was not with the team in Toronto because of visa issues. The Cuban defector went to Sarasota, Fla., where he’ll stay awaiting another summons to join the Orioles or next month’s Arizona Fall League.
Duquette said Urrutia was a candidate to join the Orioles, but for now, left-handed hitting Dan Johnson, whose contract was purchased from Norfolk last week, will take his place.
Darren O’Day, who has been sidelined with numbness in fingers of his right hand, will soon begin to throw, and the Orioles hope he will be back with them for the Tampa Bay series that begins Friday.