Selig still says Baltimore is serious candidate for ASG

Selig still says Baltimore is serious candidate for ASG
August 12, 2014, 7:00 pm
Share This Post

BALTIMORE –- With his 22-year tenure as baseball commissioner in its final months, Bud Selig is taking a victory lap around the game. Selig planned to visit all 30 ballparks in his final year, and on the eve of the owners meetings that begin here on Wednesday that he hopes will name his successor, Selig wanted to take in a game.

Rain got in the way, and Selig hopes to return to see the Orioles and Yankees on Wednesday.

In late May in Houston, Selig said that Baltimore was “a very, very viable contender” to host the 2016 All-Star Game.

On Tuesday, Selig reiterated those thoughts, but didn’t provide any additional endorsement for the game’s return. In 1993, Oriole Park hosted the All-Star Game, and it was a big success.

“I’ve been a little busy, but before I leave office, I’m going to do a number of All-Star Games, including 2016. That’s as much as I can say, but I really haven’t [focused on it] since I said that, but Baltimore is certainly a prime candidate,” Selig said.

Selig will leave office next January, and he also said that Washngton was “a very viable candidate,” to host a game. He said he would alternate American and National League sites for the All-Star Game.

Minneapolis hosted last month’s game and Cincinnati will host next year’s.

[MORE: Machado MRI reveals sprain]

“Certainly Baltimore is a prime candidate, and so is Washington.”

Selig didn’t rule out All-Star Games at Oriole Park in 2016 and at Nationals Park a year later.

“Nothing in the Constitution that would forbid that, I believe,” Selig said. “I like to take the All-Star Games where they’re meaningful and the franchises deserve them and the fans deserve them.”

On Wednesday, major league owners will gather to listen to presentations about the three candidates to succeed Selig: Rob Manfred, baseball’s chief operating officer and the commissioner’s presumed choice, executive vice president of business Tim Brosnan and Boston Red Sox owner Tom Werner.

The vote will be held on Thursday and a successful candidate must get 23 of the 30 clubs’ votes.

“It should be a fair process,” Selig said. “A lot of other people are making predictions. I’m staying out of that business.”

Selig, who recently celebrated his 80th birthday, says he has given no consideration to staying on as commissioner beyond the end of his term next January.

“In life there’s a time to come, but there’s also a time to go,” Selig said.

Selig, who became commissioner in Sept. 1992, says he plans to teach at several colleges and write a book.

“It’s time for baseball to move on, and it’s time for me to move on,” Selig said.