Just after the trading deadline, Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said the team had tried to acquire an additional right-handed bat. The price was too high, Duquette said.
Nearly midway through August, names of players reportedly placed on waivers have been leaking, and on Tuesday afternoon, Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal tweeted the Chicago White Sox placed Paul Konerko on waivers.
While former Oriole Mark Reynolds is available now that he’s been released, Konerko would be a much more attractive option for the Orioles.
After the 2005 season, Konerko toyed with signing here, but opted to stay with the White Sox.
At 37, he’s hardly the slugger he once was. He’s hitting only .243 with nine home runs and 40 RBIs. Seven times in his career he’s homered 30 or more times and he has six seasons of 100 or more RBIs.
Konerko is owed about $3.25 million, and even if he clears waivers, can block trades because he’s played in the majors for more than 10 years and five years with the same team.
A free agent at season’s end, Konerko seems like a player who’d want another pennant race, and perhaps the Orioles could offer something to tempt Chicago. It’s sort of reminiscent of last year when they acquired an even older Jim Thome from Philadelphia for a minor league catcher.
It’s a long way from happening, but Konerko as a right-handed designated hitter could help the Orioles.