Monday’s training camp report:
The Ravens practiced at M&T Bank Stadium Monday night before an announced crowd of 28,232 that filled most of the stadium’s lower level. No doubt, Ravens fans are looking forward to this season. Most players enjoy practicing in front of fans under the lights, and it showed in the intensity of practice. Monday night’s highlights included:
- Ray Rice received several warm ovations from the crowd, both before and during practice. It’s clear many Ravens fans are ready to embrace Rice if he plays well this season. What reaction he gets on the road remains to be seen.
- Torrey Smith made the best catch of the night – a leaping one-handed snag off a blistering throw from Joe Flacco. Steve Smith has been playing lights out during training camp, and the Smith-Smith combination could be lethal.
- After intercepting a Flacco pass, safety Matt Elam almost ran into a golf cart driven by Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, who was motoring toward the end zone. Fortunately, a collision was avoided.
- Cornerback Lardarius Webb (back spasms) missed another practice. However, cornerback Chykie Brown (hamstring) returned after missing Sunday’s practice.
- Retired linebacker Ray Lewis was at practice, and of course received a huge ovation. Meanwhile, rookie inside linebacker C. J. Mosley made several instinctive plays in the center of the defense, looking more like vet than rookie.
- Ravens linebacker Pernell McPhee had a strong night with a couple of sacks.
- Justin Tucker booted two 58-yard field goals, showing his leg was in regular season form.
The players should enjoy the off day on Tuesday, before returning to practice Wednesday.