Bryan Hall reinvented himself in the hopes of extending his football career, but now he'll have to do it somewhere other than in Baltimore.
Hall, who shed as much as 50 pounds this offseason in making a conversion from defensive lineman to inside linebacker, was among the Ravens cut on Sunday as they begin to pare their roster. The team must be down to 75 players by Tuesday, with the final 53-man roster set by Saturday.
Hall, who turns 25 in September, was originally signed by the Ravens as an undrafted rookie out of Arkansas State. He spent 2011 on the practice squad, then was elevated to the active roster last year and appeared in five games, with three tackles. But with the Ravens bolstering the defensive line this season, there wasn't much room for him there. So at the urging of coach John Harbaugh, Hall made the switch to inside linebacker.
But he could never rise very far on the depth chart, stuck behind Josh Bynes, Arthur Brown, Albert McClellan and Daryl Smith. Now a lighter, leaner Hall must look elsewhere for work.
Former Ravens director of player personnel Phil Savage tweeted that most of those involved in the first cutdown from 90 to 75 players have a "remote chance of getting another look." But "almost all 75-to-53 cuts will get future opportunities in 2013."
Harbaugh said that cutting Hall, well-liked throughout the building, was "just a tough call." But he said by cutting Hall early in the process, Hall has more time to look elsewhere for work.
"Part of the idea there is here’s a guy who’s been around for a while," Harbaugh said. "It’s going to be a little tough right here with the numbers, but we feel like he’s got a chance to make it somewhere. So, if we do it this week – as opposed to next week – maybe we give him an opportunity moreso to do that."