Newsome does not guarantee Suggs will return

Newsome does not guarantee Suggs will return
January 8, 2014, 1:00 pm
Share This Post

Ozzie Newsome on Terrell Suggs: 'We're not afraid'

There is no guarantee that Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs will return to the team next season. Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome made that clear during a Wednesday press conference, despite calling Suggs a "really good football player.” Suggs is due to count $12.4 million against the team’s salary cap next season, and he is 31 years old. If Suggs returns, he may have to accept a more cap-friendly extension. If not, Suggs could be released free up cap space, despite spending his entire career with the Ravens.

“That’s a decision that we’ll talk about when we get down to Jupiter (Fla.),” Newsome said, referring to an upcoming meeting that the front office will have at the home of owner Steve Bisciotti. “Terrell is a really good football player. He not only shows up in the pass game, he shows up in the run game. But that being said, we let a good football player go last year,” Newsome said, referring to wide receiver Anquan Boldin. “So we’re not afraid. I’m not a virgin when it comes to letting guys walk out the door. “What we’ll do is look at every aspect of it and see what’s best for the 2014, ’15, and “16, and then make that decision.”

RELATED: [Harbaugh endorses Castillo amid criticism (VIDEO)]

Suggs was named to the Pro Bowl again and had nine sacks over the first eight games, but finished with just 10 sacks for the season. While sacks did not completely measure Suggs’ effectiveness, there was no doubt his performance tailed off as the season progressed.

With other free agents they would like to re-sign like left tackle Eugene Monroe, tight end Dennis Pitta, defensive tackle Arthur Jones, linebacker Daryl Smith, cornerback Corey Graham, and wide receiver Jacoby Jones, the Ravens have plenty of tough decisions to make. What to do with Suggs could be the toughest.