NEWARK - As always, Super Bowl media day was too crowded, with too many reporters asking too many similar questions. However, both the Seahawks and Broncos seemed relaxed and loose, and here are 10 of my favorite quotes.
1. Broncos TE Jacob Tamme on Peyton Manning being a practical joker.
“If he offers you sunscreen on the golf course, don’t take it. When you put it on your body, it will not protect you from the sun. It will actually make you feel like you’re on fire. I had a great round that day.”
2. Wes Welker, on the large helmet he wears to protect against concussions.
“I couldn’t tell a difference myself, but apparently everyone else has because I’ve gotten a lot of texts and emails about my big helmet and how ridiculous I look in it. But as long as I’m out there playing, I’m all good.”
3. Seahawks fullback Derrick Coleman, who is deaf, talking about advice he got from his parents.
“You only want to surround yourself with people that want to see you succeed. The ones that don’t, and want you to pull you down to their level, walk away from them.”
4. Manning, on how he would describe the Seahawks defense.
“Unity. They are constantly high-fiving each other, picking each other up off a pile. You see the safeties talking, you see linebackers talking to corners and linebackers talking to defensive linemen. That just jumps out on the game film.”
5. Seahawks WR Golden Tate, on what concerns him about the Broncos defense.
“I wouldn’t say anything concerns me. I honestly feel like we’re going against the best defense on a daily basis in practice.”
6. Broncos defensive end Malik Jackson, on losing to the Ravens in the 2012 playoffs.
“We were working for this (since) we lost to the Ravens last year. It was one of those things where we had a chip on our shoulder. It kind of sucked to feel that way and nobody was happy.”
7. Manning on winning his lone Super Bowl in the 2006 season with the Colts.
“We will be coming up on a 10-year reunion in just a couple of years, which does make me feel quite old. I’m not sure you can still be playing and still go to a reunion in the NFL.”
8. Broncos coach John Fox, asked if he learned something from coaching Panthers to Super Bowl in 2003.
“Yeah. That’s it’s no fun to lose.”
9. Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas, on going against Seahawks CB Richard Sherman
“It will be a physical matchup, because we’re both competitors. If it happens to be me and him going against each other, it will probably be one of the best ever.”
10. Broncos CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, on losing the Super Bowl when he played with the Cardinals
“Does it haunt me? Yeah. Because every time the Super Bowl comes around, they show that one play with Santonio Holmes catching the ball in the back of the end zone. I was that close to getting ring.”