Allen returns, Maryland escapes with win over Tulsa

Allen returns, Maryland escapes with win over Tulsa
December 29, 2013, 9:15 pm
Share This Post

Midnight Madness returns to Cole Field House

COLLEGE PARK--Maryland athletics was having a bad week against Conference USA teams. Two days after the Terrapins football team fell victim to Marshall in the Military Bowl, the basketball team found itself tied at the half against a 4-8 Tulsa team at home.

With 10:35 to play in the second, Maryland would get the break that would decide the game, back-to-back technicals on Tulsa coach Danny Manning courtesy of referee Karl Hess that swung the momentum in the Terrapins’ favor in a 85-74 win on Sunday night at Comcast Center.

Read more about the ejection below.

Seth Allen made his season debut after surgery to repair a broken foot and made an instant impact, scoring 15 points in 21 minutes. Four other Terrapins--Nick Faust, Dez Wells, Jake Layman, and Evan Smotrycz--scored in double figures on Sunday night.


Maryland 85, Tulsa 74





Tulsa coach Danny Manning was ejected from Sunday’s game with 10:35 to play in the second half after picking up two technical fouls. At the point of his ejection, Maryland led by five points, 52-47.

He appeared to be arguing a series of calls that had gone against his team, many of which at the very least warranted an explanation.

After four free throws and possession of the ball, just four seconds of game time passed and it was 58-47 Maryland. That was the turning point in what was otherwise a close game.

Tulsa would cut it to as little as five points with under a minute to play, but would not claw any closer.


Not only did Seth Allen play more than he was expected to in his season debut on Sunday night, he played better than many expected considering the fact that he hadn’t seen live game action in eight weeks.

After seeing freshman Roddy Peters start, Allen entered with just under 16 minutes to play in the first half and was, at first, starting off slow. Then something sparked him and sparked the offense.

With under 10 minutes to play in the first half, he hit a layup and a three-pointer on consecutive possessions to help catalyze a 15-2 Maryland run over the course of 3:16, cutting Tulsa’s lead from 15 points to just two.

He started the second half, but left for the bench under three minutes in. He would return and continue what he started, finishing with the above-mentioned 15 points in 21 minutes.

[RELATED: How did Seth Allen fare in his season debut?]


Not only did the 6-10 freshman get the first start of his college career, but he scored on his team’s opening possession. He grabbed a dish from Jake Layman under the basket and did what he was supposed to do--dunk it.

But with the ups came the downs, too. With 17:39 to play in the first half, just 2:21 into his first start, he was called for a moving screen.

He played good post defense on Tulsa’s bigs, mostly thanks to his length and ability to get his hand in the face of shooters. He finished with two points and two rebounds in 15 minutes.


Wells scored the 1,000th point of his college in the first half, but had one of the quieter but efficient 18-point games you can have, finishing 7-of-10 from the floor.