Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston will not be charged following a police investigation into allegations of rape made against him, State Attorney Willie Meggs announced at a press conference Thursday afternoon.
"We've carefully examined all the evidence in this case and have concluded that no charges will be filed against anyone in this case," Meggs said. "A public record of our investigation will be made available to anyone who wants it and you'll be able to see the evidence that should lead you to us making the decision that we have made."
The alleged incident had taken place close to a year ago, Dec. 7, 2012, but the link between a police complaint from a 19-year-old woman and Winston had not been made public until multiple media outlets contacted the Tallahassee Police Department last month.
Prior to the announcement on Thursday, a DNA test linking Winston to the accuser was leaked to the public. Winston's lawyer, Tim Jansen, maintained that the results were expected.
"We are not surprised with the results of the DNA," Jansen said, according to USA Today. "We voluntarily submitted to a DNA. The only thing we are surprised by is it was leaked out by law enforcement. The question the people should ask is, why is it being leaked? For what purpose?"
A search warrant affidavit obtained by Fox Sports and made public on Thursday detailed the specifics of the incident that allegedly took place.
No. 1 Florida State, led by Winston, finished the regular season 12-0 and faces No. 20 Duke in the ACC Championship Game on Saturday. A win would secure the team's spot in the BCS National Championship game.
Winston is a candidate for the Heisman Trophy after finishing the regular season with 3490 yards and 35 touchdown passes.