Maryland has "moved on" after botched call vs. Duke

Maryland has "moved on" after botched call vs. Duke
February 17, 2014, 1:00 pm
Share This Post
(Mark Dolejs-USA TODAY Sports)

On Sunday evening, the Atlantic Coast Conference acknowledged a mistake made by its officiating crew during the second half of Maryland’s 69-67 loss to Duke on Saturday at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C.

Due to what it termed a “miscommunication” between officials and the scorer’s table during the course of the game, the possession arrow was not changed after Duke received possession following a jump ball call with 16:58 to play.  

The Blue Devils then improperly received possession again with 6:39 to play following another jump ball whistle. On the following possession, Duke sophomore Amile Jefferson made a layup to tie the game at 56-56.

On a conference call with the media Monday afternoon, Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon explained how the series of events transpired.

[RELATED: What scenario would push Terps into NCAA tournament?]

“During the game, it was clear down at the other end,” Turgeon said. “I thought we had the ball and a timeout and, you know, I was trying to get their attention but couldn’t get it. It happened quickly.

“I wasn’t 100 percent sure. I was 95 percent sure that it was our ball,” he continued. “I had already made a fool of me. I already ran to the scorer’s table once that game. If I had been 100 percent sure, I probably would have ran there.”

The ACC said in the statement released Sunday that the matter would be handled internally.

“And then after the game that evening I was well aware of the mistake,” Turgeon said. “It’s basketball, you know. It happens.

“We moved on. ACC called and apologized and what are you going to do? We’ve got to move on and get ready for Wake.”

Maryland takes on Wake Forest on Tuesday in College Park.

More Team Talk