1. Gtown - They're playing really good defense right now. As they head into league play when theyll face teams like Syracuse with a lot of firepower they have to find a way to score to keep up.
2. Maryland - The GW game at the BB&T Classic was a tough game to play as the favorite, but they got it done. The ability to take care of the ball is key...not just turnovers. They need to be careful going forward because they can't forget inside players. They will need to play inside-out with the depth they have inside
3. Va Tech - They are the biggest surprise in the area this year. They completely changed their style of play under new coach James Johnson from halfcourt offense to more up and down. Erick Green is as good a player as there is in the area and led the Hokies to a big win over Oklahoma State.
4. UVa - They have been banged up but they are gradually getting healthy. A big win over Wisconsin on the road gives the team confidence as they head into their ACC schedule. They beat Badgers at their own game which is hard to do, especially on the road.
5. VCU - They are currently 5-3, but lost to Duke by 9, lost close one to Missouri and beat Memphis. They are a very solid team, tough to play against. Shaka Smart's aggressive style bothers teams and his players believe in his style.